Should I use bleach to clean up mold?

Is bleach a good tool to clean up molds?

Bleach is not the right product to use to clean up molds. Bleach has an active ingredient called Sodium Hypochlorite and is very effective in removing the discoloration but may leave the microflora that will enable the mold to return in exactly the same spot when conditions are right.

Biocides are substances that can destroy living organisms.  Biocides are substances that can destroy living organisms and it is not recommended as a routine practice to clean up molds. There may be instances, however, when professional judgment may indicate its use (for example, when immune-compromised individuals are present). In most cases, it is not possible or desirable to sterilize an area; a background level of mold spores will remain – these spores will not grow if the moisture problem has been resolved. If you choose to use disinfectants or biocides, always ventilate the area and exhaust the air to the outdoors. Never mix chlorine bleach solution with other cleaning solutions or detergents that contain ammonia because toxic fumes could be produced.

 

clean-up-mold

Please note: Dead mold may still cause allergic reactions in some people, so it is not enough to simply kill the mold, it must also be removed.